Laura Donaldson has represented clients before legislative and executive branches of government, agencies, Cabinet and gubernatorial commissions on growth management, environmental and local government issues. Laura has also been general counsel for local governments and special districts providing guidance related to government, environmental and land use issues. She has negotiated and drafted complex and technical interlocal agreements, contracts and other transaction documents. She also provided advice on water and environmental permitting issues.
Laura was the youngest and first female General Counsel for the Southwest Florida Water Management District, where she served for three years. In her role as General Counsel, she provided legal advice and counsel to the District’s Governing Board, the Executive Director and staff regarding the interpretation and applicability of laws, regulations and judicial decisions or rulings from federal, state and administrative branches, courts or agencies affecting the District. She also reviewed District contracts and analyzed and drafted legislation.
Areas of Practice
- Water, Governmental and Environmental Law
- Government Affairs
- Florida State University, J.D., 1997
- Florida State University, B.S, 1994
Florida Bar Certifications
- Florida Bar Board Certified attorney in the area of City, County and Local Government
Publications & Presentaions
- 2002 Reforms to Growth Management. The Florida Bar Journal, Vol. LXXVI, No. 7 (July/August 2002) (coauthored).
- 2002 Reforms to the Development-of-Regional Impact Process. The Environmental and Land Use Law Section Reporter, Vol. XXIII, No. 4 (June 2002).
- 2002 Growth Management Reforms Impact Local Governments. The Agenda, Vol. XXVI, No. 1 (January 2003)(coauthored).
Professional Associations, Public Service and Distinctions
Junior League of Tampa – Bylaws/Parliamentarian, 2014-2015; Governance Taskforce Member, 2014-2015; Secretary and Executive Board Member, 2013-2014; Project Development & Evaluation Committee Chair, 2012-2013
Junior Leagues of Florida – State Public Affairs Committee, Past Chair
Children’s Home Society of Florida Gulf Coast Local Board – Board Development Committee Chair, 2014-2016
Chi Omega Sorority – Alumni Advisor for the Theta Theta Chapter; National Mock Trial Member
Unsinkable Krewe of Molly Brown Member
Leadership Tampa Class of 2006
2011 Super Lawyers Rising Star
Florida Bar Association – Environmental and Land Use Law Section Member; City, County and Local Government Law Section Member