Craig Varn has 20 years of experience representing the private sector and governments before legislative and executive branches of government, agencies, Cabinet and gubernatorial commissions on growth management, environmental and local government issues.
Prior to re-joining MansonBolves, Craig served as General Counsel for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection where he was responsible for managing the Department’s legal teams and overseeing the Department’s legal actions including rule-making, enforcement, reviewing program innovations, reviewing policy decisions for consistency with Florida Statutes.
Before his 4-years with MansonBolves he was the chief policy adviser to Senate President Jeff Atwater on all environmental, growth management, agriculture and utility issues. Craig was an active participant in the drafting of growth management and environmental legislation, including the passage of Florida’s most substantive legislation, Senate Bill 360. He has been an active speaker on growth management and environmental issues.
Before becoming an attorney, Craig worked as an engineer designing stormwater management facilities, drainage systems, and support structures, utilizing computer analysis and design and assisted clients in environmental permitting for stormwater management facilities. As an attorney, Craig has successfully represented a broad range of clients and understands the complexities of technical evidence like hydrogeology and engineering as well as modeling and the other disciplines needed in these matters. His specialties include environmental resource permitting, sovereign submerged land, and regulatory compliance and enforcement issues.
Areas of Practice
- Water, Environmental, Land Use, Administrative and Governmental Law
- Florida State University, J.D., with honors, 1996
- Florida State University, M.B.A., 1996
- University of Florida, B.S Civil Engineering, 1991
Presentations & Speeches
- Continuing Legal Education Course on Florida Water Rules
- Florida Chamber Growth Management and Environmental Permitting Short Course
- Florida Chamber Environmental Permitting Summer School
- Governor’s Hurricane Conference
- Florida Chapter of the American Planning Association Public Policy Workshop
- Wekiva River Basin Commission
Professional Associations, Appointments, & Distinctions
- Florida Engineering Society, Past General Counsel
- The Florida Bar
- Big Bend Habitat for Humanity, Past President
- Florida Blue Key Honor Fraternity